Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Final Straw


Last evening I got some straw down on the garlic and around the artichokes just ahead of the predicted frost. It was well past dark by the time I got to the allotment but with the clear night and full moon it looked like a day for night scene from the movies. Everything went swimmingly until I realized that I had dropped my specs somewhere and then the whole enterprise seemed a little ill-conceived. It wasn't so bright after all. Half an hour on hands and knees just left me muddy and cold so I abandoned them and went home slightly more miserable than I started out. As there is still a pair on the loose in the garden somewhere from a year and a half ago and another that did a runner on the seafront in the Netherlands, I was more than happy to find them in the morning light - unscathed.
I'm not sure the temperature did drop below 0° last night, but everything is bundled up and ready now for when it does happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found your specs!

I just put the straw down a few days ago. It's safe to say I now have everyone's attention in the community garden. They are all talking about the 100 different garlics I have growing, and now the 20 bales of straw covering half the garden.

Misshathorn said...

You don't do things by halves then. I've been sampling the garlic you sent for tasting and have a bias for the roseate ones, but I'm not sure how I would get on in a blind taste test.