Monday, October 22, 2007

Best in Show

About a week ago Alyson and I rendezvoused at the RHS Great Autumn Show for a lookround. There, under the high vaulted ceiling of the Horticultural Halls, vegetables and fruits were laid out on draped tables to be judged on criteria which generally require all sorts of unnatural growing techniques from forcing under lights to holding back in the freezer and more besides. It felt a bit clinical, fusty and antiquated and, to be honest, the displays just didn't look like food. I had the impression as we shuffled past that we were part of a cortège paying our last respects to the dearly departed.

Well yesterday I dug up a few things at the allotment and I have awarded myself a Silver Gilt medal in the category of Curiously Lumpen and Hirsute Root Vegetables. Marks were deducted for the smooth complexion and near symmetry of the turnip. And yes, that red thing is a radish.

7 comments:

Celia Hart said...

Your display of characterful roots is so much more inspiring than the perfection of the RHS. Yours look like vegetables by Grunewald.

Celia

Misshathorn said...

Why thank you.
Maybe, as we now have K foundation's Anti-Turner prize, the 'Not the Turner Prize' and the Turnip Prize, it's time to establish an alternative RHS Show. How about a 'My Bed' category with a nod to Tracy Emin. And a Damien Hirst style one for preserved veg...

Unknown said...

so what catagogies and entries are goung to be in the 'Frankenstien Fruit' section though; lol

this said...

I just love reading your blog : )

Hoping to grow some hirsute vegies of my own.

But possibly not ready for the guerilla seed association.

Misshathorn said...

Thanks. And I can't help but notice that your post is at 11:11 on the 11th. I'm not sure why I clock those things, but I do.

Rebsie Fairholm said...

That's brilliant!

Not only have you perfectly summed up how I feel about show vegetables, your own exhibits are works of exquisite beauty and character.

Maybe next year I can enter my arse-shaped plum to the Rebels' Horticultural Society show ...

Michael said...

You've probably been sent this link a dozen times, but I drop it in here anyway, with respects.
http://uliwestphal.110mb.com/mutatocollection/

Enter the world of the Mutato....