Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Slim Pickings

It's a disappointing year for tomatoes in my back yard. They started looking sorry for themselves quite early on and that caused me to get cross with them. So I punished them by cutting short their water rations... Anyway, very few fruited in the greenhouse (yellowhouse) before I removed them completely but some of the outdoor ones are beginning to produce now so all is not lost. It's a mystery because under the same conditions in the same soil the peppers have flourished (and continue to) and yielded bumper harvests. Possibly the pot size?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your small harvest of tomatoes. Here my tomatoes produce alright, both in greenhouse and outdoor, although some cultivars have died from late blight (only the ones I expected to do so).

The photo is beautiful!

Misshathorn said...

Yes, I think it's just me, the weather hasn't been bad at all. I'm reading more about use of grey water and I'm thinking the answer might lie there. We had a long drought in the spring and I was relying on it. The soil has become very alkaline as a result.