Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bumper Crop


"One of my neighbours, shot a ring-dove on an evening as it was returning from feed, & going to roost. When his wife had picked and drawn it, she found it's craw stuffed with the most nice and tender tops of turnips. These she washed & boiled, and so sate down to a choice & delicate plate of greens, culled & provided in this extraordinary manner."
Gilbert White (again)
I remembered this passage while eviscerating Henry. I removed the crop still warm and stuffed with grains and I wondered just what sort of a porridge could be had by steaming it like a pudding, a mini-haggis, if you will. However, it looked to be very gritty, so I chucked it out.
By amazing coincidence though, on Tuesday, in Soho, at a leaving drink for a friend, I met Sydney, who, I later discovered, is responsible for posting 'The Natural History of Selbourne' blog - one of my favourite daily reads.

No comments: