Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mud Poultices

After a full season of beelessness, this evening we housed a nucleus in our chicken-loud glade. And I got stung thrice on the head for my trouble. I remember my first ever sting when I was about five and by way of a remedy my mother pressed a spoonful of mud on it - a sort of poultice to draw the poison out. Unfortunately I didn't remember until a long while after I was set upon - too late to find out whether it's effectiveness wasn't largely dependent upon the presence of mother.

2 comments:

Q said...

ouch... I think the mud thing does work. I tried it in later years without a mother nearby. Although I was a mother at the time so maybe that doesn't count.
I hope the stinging has subsided. It is the only true instance I know of 'this is going to hurt me more than it'll hurt you' for the bee.

Misshathorn said...

"Habeat sua fata apis"

http://hootingyard.org/archives/5493