Friday, November 16, 2007

Out & About


Tuesday lunchtime I perused a monograph on the war artist Evelyn Dunbar at Hatchard's Book Shop. I've had a post card of 'The Queue at the Fish Shop' on my bulletin board for the past - oh, 5 years now, but have never happened on any of her other paintings. She was hired by the British government to document the war at home particularly the work of the women in the Land Army. The beautiful painting above is 'Pruning at East Malling' which I lifted from the Manchester Art Gallery website. Check out the link for more.


Last night we went along to friend Katherine Tasker's party to celebrate the opening of her deli/cafe 'Lemon Monkey' @ 188 Stoke Newington High Street. During the renovations to the former betting shop they uncovered the original Victorian proprietor's ("W.A.Higgs") hand-lettered signboard well back of the current facade. It compliments her fittings and suits her endeavor to sell locally sourced, home-made comestibles. Although the cupboards were still bare she's due to begin trading next Tuesday. The above is not the final logo but happens to be my favourite of the ones that Michael designed.
And I eagerly anticipate Monday's screening of the documentary 'Beekeeping After War' at the Roxy Bar & Screen followed by a director's Q&A. It was filmed in the Balkans, postNATO blitzkrieg and is free!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Thank you for introducing me to Evelyn Dunbar's work--I'd never encountered it before, and I find it quite beautiful.