Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Stocking the Larder


Hmm, September. I guess that was it for summer then. There aren't too many things that are going to have a sudden spurt of growth at this late stage, but still, I don't feel like tallying up just yet. Something there is lots of right now and that's fruit. We're getting our fill of apples - apple sauce, apple crumble, apple pie - blackberries, and the neighbour's plums. And I've tried to lay in a few stores for the long, cold dark nights ahead. I stewed a couple of bottles of an elderberry cordial, good for sore throats, croup and catarrh. And then made this crabapple cheese, very like quince cheese in texture and probably usage as well, but with the addition of a little cinnamon and clove spices. I'm sure it will cure whatever ails you and it's quite more-ish.

No comments: